This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Transport & Travel Costs Scheme

Most people are able to get themselves to hospital or medical appointments. However, if you need physical or financial support, there are two schemes that can provide support.

Non Emergency Patient Transport

If you think you need help from the NHS to get to hospital because your health condition impacts on your ability to use routine transport (cars/trains/buses/taxis/wheelchair taxis) then you can contact the Patient Transport Advice Centre on 01278 726968.

The Patient Transport Advice Centre is open Monday to Friday 8:30am - 6:30pm. The NHS staff there will ask you about your needs and , if you qualify, will book your transport with Arriva Transport Solutions Ltd. on your behalf. If you do not qualify, they may be able to suggest an alternative means of transport instead.

The Healthcare Travel Cost Scheme

If you are on certain benefits you may be eligible to claim back some or all of the cost of travel to NHS appointments.

For more information on the scheme, click the following link - Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme or view this document.

In Gloucestershire, claims must be made using the HC5(T) form which is available at hospitals throughout the county or online.

Local Community Transport Schemes

Community Transport is part of the voluntary sector and plays an important role in filling gaps in service not provided by local buses and trains (the mainstream public transport network) as well as meeting the more specific needs of particular groups or individuals in the community.

There are a couple of local voluntary groups in the Stroud area:

•Community Connexions (previously Stroud Ring and Ride) - 0845 680 5029
•Leonard Stanley Village Lift Scheme -01453 822287 before 9pm. Designed for those in the Leonard Stanley who need transport to get to their GP in Stonehouse.

Most schemes require some payment to cover the cost of the fuel. Please contact the schemes for further details.

Alternatively, visit the Gloucestershire County Council website here for more information.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website